Thursday, November 29, 2007

Coming to a Close

Well, the term is ending in less than a week and I’m sad to be leaving. But, good news, I am coming back! I’ve been accepted as a helper, and as a bonus all my friends who applied to be helpers are also returning. Next term there will be an unprecedented seven helpers. Normally L’Abri hires four, but everyone who applied is basically wonderful and the workers are excited about getting to keep each of us on. I am looking forward to working alongside such great people. In fact, as a whole, I’m looking forward to next term, though I must admit, it feels a little surreal though I’m not sure why. I am also looking forward to coming home, being with family and friends, and going to church. Besides people, church is the thing I miss most while here at L’Abri. It will be more difficult next term than this one, because while four months is a long time to be missing church, eight months is longer (naturally) – you see, the once or twice I’ll get to go to church before returning to Switzerland is just going to be a tease. Of course you know we have chapel every Sunday, which I enjoy, but it isn’t the same. I miss singing, I miss age diversity and I miss baptisms and communion and oddly, I miss the messiness, the strange quirks and follies that make church home. Boy howdy, am I ready for some good old-fashioned church when I get home.

Jasie and I are still having wonderful tutorials, right down to the very end of it! This past week we discussed ways in which we desire to be more kingdom-minded and less self-absorbed, more countercultural and less socially permeated. We also talked about good getting in the way of best and the difficulties of walking the line between under achieving at too little a cost or because of fear and over achieving at too great a cost (namely relational), between selling oneself short and obsessing. No, we didn’t figure it out in the hour during my tutorial, but we are dedicated to seeing each other grow in Christ our Lord and I am blessed beyond measure by her guidance and her friendship as I am by many of you who are taking time to read these blogs week to week, who have been and continue to be so instrumental in my development as a disciple. The lovingkindness of the Lord and his bewildering blessings truly are endless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you are sad, but I am so glad you are coming home even if it is just for a little while before you return. Got your ticket, byt the way. See you Friday at the airport. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!

I'm so glad you are going back, Pooface.

Do you think you could burn a disk and send me your pictures before you return. I especially would like the toilet ones, but any from the time period I was at L'Abri would be helpful.

I have 3 leads on pastoral positions-- please pray for me. One is for youth ministry in CA, and that sounds like loads of fun. Who else is coming back to L'Abri? Rhett, Jon, you, and.... ??

Miss and love you tons. Keep in touch!

Rachel laughwrinkles@yahoo.com

valerie said...

Nice caveat on your blog title, lady. ;)